21 June 2007

Cooling Effects of Summer Solstice Felt

Though having lived on the same floor for a couple of semesters in college (which, by the way, I still have three semesters left to get my thrilling BA in Fiction Writing !), I don't know The Armchairs (Myspace) too well. Not much at all besides that they were directly across the hall, one-half of the duo hails from the same state I do, and there had been a passing hello once in a while between us. So when one morning I awoke and there was a Myspace friend request from their band, I hesitated before I listened. I knew, somewhat, their taste in music but had no ideas about their music-making abilities. It could've been crap but I enjoy their fledgling project. The influences are pointed out then explored and exploited to the point where I am, well, impressed by the (this is a phrase I loathe) pop sensibility (Mantra #1: "Whatever That Means"). I like the band name as I'm a sucker for plush single-seaters (good for "reading", i.e. passing out after being consumed and then spat out by the new Don Delillo and Haruki Murakami--summer reading is great!) and really, starts with a "The" and ends with two easy-on-the-tongue syllables. What a name!

It's nice. Vanilla ice cream nice. Single scoop in a cup with a wooden tongue-depressor type of spoon. You know what I'm talking about. I liked the strawberry syrup topped best but chocolate was the one I always chose. I would hazard to say the choice was made because it was standard and comfortable. When I was back in Pennsylvania earlier this month, I stopped by H Mart and bought nougat ice cream bars dipped in the thinnest coat of chocolate. New standard of comfort. It's how The Armchairs will taste like if they're still around to be stumbled upon in the next few years. Who knew they were across the way for all that time?

...

Melt Banana are playing tonight. I am stoked. But not enough to go to the ATM, get out cash, and make the (probably) hour-long trip on the CTA to see them. I need to learn how to ride a bike and carry cash.

Today, I went downtown and ordered my MacBook Pro. I'm frugal but when I spend money, I spend enough to get me to the other side of the world and back one-and-a-half times. Should be getting it within two weeks. Look forward to consistent updates and a better variety. Better is subjective. Aren't you psyched? Aren't all three(?) of you readers psyched? I am.

No comments: