04 November 2008

Election Night

I may be the only person I know in Chicago not at an election results party nor among the ridiculous masses downtown at Grant Park right now. I'm not partial to mass gatherings nor do I want to test the legalities of substance consumption in public (never mind that that's a shaky excuse to begin with given my track record with the booze and the sunshine and the outside...). It sure is a beaut of a night and let's hope for results that won't burn down Chicago.

Instead, I'm listening to Coltrane's Blue Train, drinking Bell's Oberon Ale, and reading Wallace Stevens out on my balcony, watching people wander in and out of the rec center turned polling place across the street. Every few Sundays, folks come for polka. It's incredibly charming. I really love my neighborhood. I mean, after a spontaneous bike ride to pick up some esoteric fruits and hot sesame oil in Uptown, and making a batch of scallion pancake, I wandered around the corner last night and got to see Tirra Lirra, Marnie Stern, and Gang Gang Dance, drink a couple of beers, and wander back to my apartment. I'm really excited for school to be over so I can follow these whims with more frequency.

Also, Marnie Stern is AMAZING. Look:

No comments: