15 September 2009

music's cool but books are, too.

Philadelphia's planning to close all of its public libraries on October 2. I don't know why it's not a bigger deal in national media. I don't care about the latest Kanye West outburst or Lady Gaga stunt when, holy shit, guys, a whole city's public library system may no longer exist in a matter of weeks.

In the short eleven or so years I lived in the city, I frequented the South Philadelphia and formerly-named Southwark branches more often than my friends' homes. There was the time Kelly and I tried to borrow out the movie Splash, but you can't at 8 because god forbid we saw mermaid tits. One year, I went to maybe a day and a half of summer art camp there. My love for books wouldn't exist if these libraries weren't there.

I have been thinking a lot about where I stand on certain things, how gray it all is, how I've increasingly become someone who no longer worries about this or that, if maybe I'm just swapping out a short fuse for apathy. I haven't been able to react viscerally to anything in a long time. These library closing? This made my guts hurt for the first time in months.

No comments: