02 March 2008

young marble pants

Thanks inkswamp!

I have a thing for things twee and kitsch. It pains me to admit it but it's true. Tea cups. Books. Furniture. Give me the sweetest jangly indie pop in the world and though I may initially turn my nose away from it, I will secretly listen to it on a warm, sunny day (like Sunday!) and smile a lot like an idiot. Do things like buy a coffee table.

Never mind that Pants Yell! is a band name that rubs me the wrong way, the latest LP title is fantastic--Alison Statton. As in Young Marble Giants' Alison Statton. Colossal Youth. That's a brilliant band name and a great album. Other than !!! and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, I can't think of any other bands that deserve the audacity of having "!" in their name. Maybe some day I will be okay with frivolous punctuation marks.

Pants Yell! - Reject, Reject

What I love about this song is where it drops off for a bit at exactly the two-minute mark and then comes back in with a whiny twist. That's lovely. I also love all of their lyrics. Simple. Tongue-in-cheek. Reminds me of The Smiths and Belle and Sebastian and Beulah and you know, all of those bands that Pants Yell! sounds like, i.e. all of the stuff I listened to in my first year or two of college. What was I thinking?

No comments: